Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tiger Woods - "I cheated"

The big story this weekend was about Tiger Woods holding a press conference to address the issue of him cheating on his wife and his plans for the future. I can't be the only person that is tired of this story. The media just takes stories and repeatedly pounds them in your skull until you begin to really care about stuff that you shouldn't. For this story, I get it. Tiger Woods has been cheating on his wife with several women for years. Yes, the women he cheated with aren't as attractive as one might have expected but whatever. Yes, the black community is somewhat saddened to find out that Tiger Woods is only interested in Caucasian women...Eh, get over it. Yes, the man everyone thought was perfect for some reason has proven that he is just like everyone else. Is that really his fault though? Did he ask for the media to build him into a god-like figure? Possibly, but I've never heard him say that. This is proof that we are all human. Also, how many times do we have to be reminded that people cheat. Everyday people cheat, and so do athletes, politicians, doctors, fireman and whatever else you can think of. Not everyone cheats of course, that would be horrible, but many do. At this point if you think I find cheating ok, you're wrong. Cheating is wrong, there is no way around it. If your married and you cheat, I think it is even worse. With all that being said, when people get exposed for cheating we shouldn't be surprised.

I find it interesting that we as a society are so quick to build individuals up but then love to bring them down. Tiger was wrong and in a sense he gets what he deserves. I still wish him the best. I have repeatedly heard the saying that we (USA) are a forgiving society. I would like to agree to a certain extent. I believe it all depends on who you are and what you have done or what you can do in the future. In Tigers case, I think he will be fine. We will eventually forgive but not forget. He still will provide of with a reason to pay attention to golf and I honestly believe he will patch things up with his wife. Kobe Bryant cheated, Bill Clinton cheated and they are both still loved and remain married to their wives. Interesting how that works huh?

Anyway, on to Tiger's press conference. I thought the press conference was interesting. In my opinion he said all the right things. He apologized to everyone he could think of, he acknowledged that what he did was wrong and also that he was not above the rules. Perfect! What I found most interesting was that addressed the false accusations made about him and his family. In a polite way, he told the media to back the hell away from his wife and children. I thought it was awesome. For a few split seconds you could see the fire that drives him on the golf course come out as he addressed how displeased he was with the media. From an audio standpoint I loved this press conference. From a visual standpoint Tiger left me confused. Visually it was hard to take what he was saying seriously. I'm not saying that his speech wasn't from the heart because it very well may have been but something was awkward about his presentation. The way he looked into the camera it was strange. To me it looked like he was really trying to make all the viewers believe what he was saying. If that is what he was trying to do, I think he failed. If anything he just made people question if this was all staged and rehearsed. I'm just hoping he is not the best public speaker and he meant the things he said.

Towards the end he kind of left us hanging by not really saying when he planned to return. But what else could we have expected? Now when he does announce when he is returning the media can make a big deal about it for a couple of days. Overall, I was pleased with the press conference.

I have no idea when Tiger will be back, but I assume that when he does come back he will return to greatness. I also think he will have a chip on his shoulder and will have a little something for all the golfers who took the opportunity to publicly bash him. Only time will tell.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment