Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm Back

First off id like to apologize for no posts in a while. I had a few computer issues but I'm back now. Wow, there is a lot to cover. Before I get into the NBA trade deadline, or Tiger Woods talking to the media, or my lack of interest in winter Olympics, I'd like to talk about the NBA All-Star weekend.

I know what your thinking, I'm going to bash the dunk contest. Well, your right just not yet. Lets start with the Rookie All-Star game. One word, boring! However, I was somewhat pleasantly surprised that the rookies won. I thought for sure they would get blown out, considering they were billed as the worst class in years. Well surprise surprise maybe they aren't as bad as projected. Obviously, it was just an All-Star game and Derrick Rose didn't play, but I think the rookies may deserve an apology. Anyway, I don't want to talk too much about this JV game, but I would like to congratulate Tyreke Evans, my preseason pick for rookie of the year, on his MVP award and DeJuan Blair for controlling the paint with 22 points and 23 rebounds.

Moving on....

The game of horse. When I originally heard Kevin Durant would be defending his Horse title against Rajon Rondo and Omri Casspi, I thought Durant would win in about 10-12 min max. Well, I couldn't have been further off. The event actually went over its half hour time limit and it was painfully boring. Finally, after about 45 minutes and a overtime-like shootout, Durant successfully defended his title. There was one bright side to the event. Rajon Rondo showed the world that he can actually shoot. In fact, he can shoot from anywhere on the floor. I know if you didn't watch the event you don't believe me, but trust me he can actually shoot. I guess he just has an issue when there is defense. Oh well, by the end of the night I prayed to the basketball gods that they remove this event next year.

Moving on...

The real All-Star game...If you watched, you know what I'm going to say. It was good. Dwayne Wade and Lebron left us with many highlights and Carmelo Anthony carried the West proving why he is arguably the best pure scorer in the NBA. Chris Bosh impressed us with his all around game and Dirk played well in front of the home crowd. The players gave us a game worth watching and the East took it home with a two point victory. The biggest story of the night was the venue, Jerry Jones' new baby. The stadium successfully packed in 109,000 fans and left no one disappointed. Job well done!

Moving on...

The dunk contest... I don't even like talking about this anymore. I tried my best to erase it from my memory. So I'm going to keep it short. To sum it up, it just seemed like something was missing. Other than Nate Robinson, it just didn't seem like any of the other contestants wanted to win or cared that anyone who appreciates basketball was watching. It was awful. The dunks were very boring and when it was over I was waiting for David Stern to come out announce that was just a silly prank and they were going to start the real dunk contest next. Year after year I have become accustomed to hearing Kenny Smith get so excited over certain dunks, that he came close to ejaculation. I'm afraid, not this year. Actually at the end Kenny said, "This has got to change for next year." I don't want to say all negative things about the contest, so I will give Nate Robinson credit for one of his dunks and DeMar DeRozen credit for one of his dunks. As for Gerald Wallace (who I'm a big fan of) and Shannon Brown (the favorite to win the contest) why did you even show up? I would usually post a link for an event like this but what is the point? Is it even worth it?

So, we all know this year sucked, what can they do to make it better next year? I have the solution. Get better dunkers!!! That wasn't so hard. When I say better dunkers, no I'm not referring to Lebron James. I'd love to see Lebron compete in it but I'm afraid that will never happen. That's fine it he does not want to compete because guess what? There are more people in the NBA that can dunk. First thing you do is expand the number of participants. Four is too small. I say you go 8. Now who should participate??? Here is your answer, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, Rudy Gay, Terrence Williams, J.R. Smith, Andre Iguodala, Gerald Green, and James White (my favorite to win it all). All of these guys have been in the dunk contest before except James White and Terrence Williams but they are all high fliers and creative. That is the key, being creative. Something this years group clearly lacked.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment