Saturday, December 26, 2009

Passing of the torch...

Growing up as a kid in the mid to late 90's and the 2000's you had to like Allen Iverson. He did it all. He was the underdog, he was under sized, he could score with the best of them, he was expressive, he had the "killer crossover," he had corn rows, he took a sub par team to the NBA finals, he had cool shoes, he rebelled, he poured his heart on the floor every night and finally he showed every child out there that you can make it, being yourself. With all that said, it pains me to watch him now, at this point in his career. While he is still all the things that I mentioned above, it just isn't the same. Everyone remembers the play where, a young Allen Iverson was going one on one with one of his heroes, Michael Jordan. We all remember the infamous crossover. It was great. Iverson was fearless. It was the new vs. the old. The youth vs. the wise. The best vs. the up-coming. As a child it was almost a symbol of the passing of the touch. Jordan wasn't done by any means, but Iverson represented a new age, more talent, the next greats.

About two weeks or so ago, I was reminded of the infamous crossover. As we all know Allen is on the downside of his career, but can still play at a high level. I saw a highlight from a Detroit pistons game that really opened my eyes. Rodney Stuckey went one on one with Allen Iverson, I'm sure one of his childhood heroes, and put a move on him I will never forget. The symbol of passing the torch immediately ran through my head. At this very moment I realized that there was a new generation of players that are ready to make their mark on the league.

So for all the die hard Iverson fans, I suggest you don't play this video.

P.S. How appropriate is this music in the background?

No comments:

Post a Comment