Wednesday, October 7, 2009

That Time Of Year...

As many of you know, and hopefully can tell, I am a die hard sports fan. I love all sports, but if you read my blog, it is also very clear that I favor football and basketball. Getting even more specific, as much as I love basketball, my favorite time of year is September at the start of the college and pro football seasons.

Let’s just look at opening weekend in college football. There were teams that came out and took care of business, as expected. Ranked at No.1, the Florida Gators pummeled Charleston Southern University, 62-3. The funny thing about that is, Florida was a 70-point favorite. The Texas Longhorns opened up against Louisiana-Monroe with a 59-20 victory and the USC Trojans ran through San Jose State, piling up 342 rushing yards.

Of course it’s no fun when everything goes according to the rankings. Everybody likes to see an upset. The No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners came up short against the 20th-ranked BYU Cougars in a 14-13 loss. Not only did Oklahoma lose the game and probably their national championship hopes, they also lost their starting quarterback and Heisman candidate Sam Bradford to a shoulder injury for at least a month.

To conclude week one, The University of Miami and Florida State went to battle in what I consider to be the best college football game I’ve seen since the USC v. Texas National Championship game. The nail-biter was full of offense and not very much defense (who can argue with that). Miami ended up winning the game, 38-34.

Opening week in the NFL was just as exciting as opening week in college football, with several intense close games and a few surprises. But if I talk about it in detail I feel like this post will never end…

All in all, there is no month like September.

No comments:

Post a Comment